Pam at Argyll Backpackers, on the shores of Loch Fyne, has been keeping busy over the past year. Read her lock down story...
Trying to pre-empt what the future held for the ‘hostelling community’ without losing it’s traditional social/sharing ethos, was like looking into a crystal ball!
I wanted ensure guests would still feel welcome and safe, by providing both ‘self-catering’ and/or ‘self-contained unit’ options, depending on the current government regulations.
The changes we've made will make sure guests can still enjoy the many local and varied walking/cycling routes, historic culture, wildlife, kayaking/SUP’s, wild swimming or just chill out on the beach watching the local seals (possibly dolphins too).
To Do List
Pam and the team at Argyll Backpackers have ticked off the following jobs:
> Created a purpose built bike-shelter
> Built a large fire-pit/BBQ using left-over materials from the actual ‘hostel build’. It's a great addition to the main outside dining area.
> Major building, electrical and plumbing work was done by the professionals, so now all 7 bedrooms can boast ensuite facilities.
> Addition of heated towel rails, kettles and breakfast bars, so that guests can be ‘self-contained’ in their bedroom if preferred.
> Invented the "breakfast bag" option for guests and added a pick-up service for local takeaway evening meals.
> Website revamp with new day trip suggestion and special rates!
Covid-19 safety measures
- A new steam cleaner so extra clean rooms!
- ‘Hand Sanitiser Stations’ at the entrance and in the corridor.
- Disposable face masks made available.
- Purchase of a digital forehead thermometer (like the ones used at airports etc).
- Clear signage throughout to remind guests of the Covid-19 social distancing/sanitising rules.
- Cleaning materials made even more available for guest use.
- Enhanced ‘3 stage’ cleaning of all ‘high touch areas’ (bleach/dettol/steam cleaner).
- Rooms aired, mattresses & pillows ‘rested’ between bookings.
- Kitchen time slots with own kitchen equipment and common-room (if guidelines permit)
On Your Bike
More about the Hostel
Argyll Backpackers is a fabulous, custom built, accessible hostel with stunning views of Loch Fyne to Arran and over to the Cowal hills.
There are 7 various sized ensuite bedrooms for 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6 guests. The spacious lounge / diner has patio doors leading to a wrap-around outside seating area.
The well-equipped kitchen has 3 distinct cooking areas including one accessible for wheelchair users. Or enjoy the large BBQ/Firepit and various outside seating areas.
Your bikes will be well looked after in the under-cover secure bike store as well as an open but sheltered secure bike rail outside the bedroom windows.
A small beach is easily accessible from the hostel - great for a BBQ, wild swimming, canoe/kayaking or just chilling out after a day's travel/exploring or dog walking....