- The landscape is spectacular. From late September and through to November, enjoy the fiery autumn leaves and bright blue skies.
- The weather is still mild, but there is a good excuse to get cosy in the cooler evenings.
- Crowds have thinned leaving you to explore without the queues
- Skies can be the bluest of blues and the air is super fresh!
- Our hostels offer you a warm welcome and a cosy bed for the night
Here are a few ideas of where you can go and what you can do:
Galloway Activity Centre, Hostel on the shores of Loch Ken
This family-run centre offers a huge number of activities all year round. Don't miss:
- The starry skies - the Galloway Forest Park has Dark Sky status, with extremely low levels of light pollution making it ideal for night gazers and star spotters.
- The 7 Stanes mountain biking heaven - situated right in the middle of 5 out of the 7Stanes venues.
- Nightime Laser tag - added excitement with a nighttime battle!
Not forgetting fun sessions in sailing, windsurfing, kayaking, canoeing as well as dry activities such as archery, climbing, mountain biking and outdoor laser-quest.
Loch Ness Backpackers, On the Great Glen Way
Loch Ness Backpackers is a warm and friendly little hostel with a relaxed atmosphere.
- Urquhart Castle, spectacular in the autumn colours
- Loch Ness and the Monster Exhibitions, Nessie often appears when the summer holidays are over...
- Walking trails are truly magical in the autumn. The hostel is next to the Great Glen Way and nearby Glen Africa and the Falls of Foyers.
Ardtornish Estate Bunkhouse, Loch Aline
On Scotland's west coast, the Ardtornish Estate spreads out around Loch Aline, a huge, wooded, U-shaped bay, a natural haven.
- Get muddy, breathe deeply, relax completely and soak up the sheer beauty of this wonderful part of west Scotland.
- Join the photography workshop and capture the rugged mountains, stunning coastlines, freshwater lochs, ancient woodlands and heather moorland.
- Ring in the New Year at ceilidh hosted in the grand hall of Ardtornish house. Free entry for guests to these not-to-be-missed Hogmany celebrations.
Helmsdale Hostel, North East of ScotlandNewly refurbished, enjoy the welcoming open fire, cosy dorms and private bedrooms.
- The perfect stop off on the NC500 and Land's End John O'Groats Route
- Bracing walks on the pristine sandy beaches.
- Visit the award-winning Timespan Heritage Centre